This light was constructed in 1929 on the east end of Belle Isle in the Detroit River as a tribute to William Livingstone. He was a prominent resident of Detroit and served 25 years as President of the Lake Carriers Association. He was responsible for many improvements on the Lakes.
The 70’ tall is a highly stylized Art Deco with bronze accents and carved door panel and bronze lantern top. The 50’ fluted shaft is made of white Georgia marble. It is the only marble lighthouse in the world and it was paid for by private funds. The light exhibited a rare working occulted light (winking) white beacon which could be seen for 15 miles.
It is easily accessible by driving to Belle Isle, parking at Dossin Museum and take the foot path. Belle Isle is now a State Park and requires a fee or park passport. For more history go to www.lighthousefriends.com. For a print or cards go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Frankfort North Breakwater Light was established in Frankfort in 1873. It has been moved and upgraded several times in its history. The current lighthouse was built in 1932 in a pyramidal style that is square white painted steel clad tower which is 67’ tall and had a fifth order Fresnel Lens. The tower was never manned, but accessed from shore by the elevated catwalk to a second story doorway that ran the length of the breakwater to shore. The catwalk no longer exists.
This light extends far out into Lake Michigan and offers some great photographs of towering splashing wave action. The breakwater does not stand very high above water level and lives have been lost from visitors walking out and being swept off and carried out by the strong rip current. The light can be reached by car and seen from shore.
For more history go to www.lighthousefriends.com and for a print or cards go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Poe Reef sits in the middle of a 3 mile wide south channel between the mainland and south of Bois Blanc Island , six miles north of Cheboygan, MI. The channel is heavily trafficked by vessels going to and from the Straits and Lake Huron. Poe Reef light sits on the north side of the channel and Fourteen Foot Shoal sits on the south side of the channel. The crew at Poe Reef remotely operated Fourteen Foot Shoal light when it was built. Poe Reef light is one of 14 reef lights in Michigan waters built in the 1920’s.
Built in 1929, this is a square 56’ tower atop a square concrete base. St. Martin light and Poe Reef light are built from the same plan. To “day marker” Poe Reef from the all white St. Martin light, the Poe Reef light is painted black, white, black with a red top with a 3rd order Fresnel lens. It was automated in 1974. The existing fog horn is still in service. It is not open to the public, but maybe seen from tour boats out of Mackinaw City, Mi.
Traversing between Lake Huron and Lake Superior has always been fraught with reefs, shoals, and islands found in the St. Mary’s River threatening shipping to this day. This painting is about one of them.
Detour Reef Lighthouse is located at the mouth of the St. Mary’s River in northern Lake Huron between Detour and Drummond Island, Mi. A lighthouse stood on on the west side of the St. Mary’s River shore from 1857-1931 and it was similar to the open structure of Whitefish Pt. Light. Because of increased shipping running aground on Detour Reef, it was felt that the light should be on the reef itself.
The Detour Reef Lighthouse currently stands about a mile off-shore on Detour Reef in about 24’ of water ( normally). The light became operational in November 1931. The 39’ square light is two stories tall and constructed of masonry covered in steel and cast iron. The first floor is the upper part of the engine and machinery area below. The second story is the keeper’s quarters. A square tower rises from the center of this structure. The tower featured a unique 3 1/2 Order Fresnel Lens in the lantern room with a watch room below. The tower is 74’ above water level. The Coast aGuard took it over in 1939, but a civilian keeper stayed on until 1962. The light was automated in 1974.
The Fresnel Lens is displayed at the Detour Passage Museum in Detour Village. The Detour Reef Preservation Society has restored the light with much volunteer effort and now owns and offers tours and an overnight keeper’s program. For more details about the program go to : www.drlps.com
For more history go to:www.lighthousefriends.com
For a print or cards go to my website: www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.