This light was constructed in 1929 on the east end of Belle Isle in the Detroit River as a tribute to William Livingstone. He was a prominent resident of Detroit and served 25 years as President of the Lake Carriers Association. He was responsible for many improvements on the Lakes.
The 70’ tall is a highly stylized Art Deco with bronze accents and carved door panel and bronze lantern top. The 50’ fluted shaft is made of white Georgia marble. It is the only marble lighthouse in the world and it was paid for by private funds. The light exhibited a rare working occulted light (winking) white beacon which could be seen for 15 miles.
It is easily accessible by driving to Belle Isle, parking at Dossin Museum and take the foot path. Belle Isle is now a State Park and requires a fee or park passport. For more history go to www.lighthousefriends.com. For a print or cards go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.