The Holland Pier light started out in 1870 with a white wood structure with enclosed top and open bottom. It had a 5th order Fresnel lens. In 1875 an elevated wood catwalk was installed. This was upgraded in 1901 to a white steel structure with metal walk. Then in 1907, a white very large metal fog signal building with a large loud fog steam whistle and an apartment for 2 assistants above in the gabled upper story and a connective passage connected to adjacent pier light with new 4th order Fresnel lens. In 1936, a smaller square tower was erected between the pair of gables on the fog signal and entire building was painted cream with maroon trim!
The change to “Big Red” occurred in 1956 when the entire building was painted bright red. to meet Coast Guard requirements that right side pier lights must be all red. The light was decommissioned and finally signed over to Holland Historical Preservation Society. The 4th order Fresnel lens is in Holland Museum for all to visit. The light had faded to “Big Pink” in 2012 and there was no money to paint it. Two local business stepped up and painted it for free!
Go to www.lighthousefriends.com for more detailed history.
For prints and cards of Big Red go to website www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Passage Island Light was first lit it’s 4th order Fresnel lens in July 1882. The light marked a critical point for vessel traffic headed in and out of the Thunder Bay Area. The octagonal tower stands 44’ tall and is an integral part of the house. The tower and the house are built of rough stone in a Norman Gothic style similar to White River lighthouse. The house is only 60’ above lake level and Lake Superior storms have sometimes washed over the lighthouse breaking windows and washing away anything left outside.
With the installation of the steam whistle, which set a record for running 902 hours and consuming 50 tons of coal in 1907, extra keeper’s were needed. 3 keeper’s and the head keeper’s family lived in the 7 room house. The light was automated and station closed in 1978. It is the only light station on Lake Superior that could boost a helicopter pad.
The title to the light was transferred by the Coast Guard to the National Park Service in 1996. The public may see the light on a tour ferry from Rock Harbor, Isle Royale, Mi.
Prints and cards are available. For more detailed information go to www.lighthousefriends.com/passageislandlighthouse
Eagle Harbor Lighthouse is 16 miles west of Cooper Harbor, MI. on the Keweenaw Peninsula. The area was settled in 1844 and soon after large veins of copper were found. A light was needed to mark the harbor. In 1851, a light and keeper’s quarters was built with a 4th order Fresnel Lens and lighted with a sperm oil lamp. The construction was very poor and it was replaced in 1871 with a new red brick 1 1/2 story 7 room dwelling with the tower built into the north east corner ( McGuilpin Pt. And White River are the same plan.)
in 1895, a fog signal building was built. In 1907 the signal blasted 544 hours with the keepers shoveling 43 tons of coal to keep it going.. In 1968, the lens was replaced with an electric beacon and then automated 1980.
Since 1982, the Keweenaw County Historical Society has maintained 4 museums at the site. Visit www.keweenawhistory.org for hours and details about visiting the light and museum hours. For a print or cards go to my website www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.