This light was one of the first that I painted in 1989 after the family had a wonderful afternoon on the long pier that extends out from a lovely little park and beach. We could only view the light across the harbor through binoculars.
Harbor Beach Breakwater Light was activated in 1885 as a huge “harbor of refuge” on the east side of Lake Huron halfway between Fort Gratiot and the top of the thumb. It is a conical cast iron tower with a height of 45 feet originally with a 4th order Fresnel lens. It is located at the elbow of a massive 8,200’ breakwater enclosing 650 acres of calm water in a storm. The quarters had a room for a galley and berth for a 3-man crew. It was lonely duty and they welcomed any boaters that wanted to stop for a visit. It was automated 1976.
The title to the light was transferred to the Harbor Beach Lighthouse Preservation Society July 2010. The Society is very energetic and has upgraded the little light including a replica fourth order lens in 2015. They will offer boat tours in the summer of 2021. Go to harborbeachlighthouse.org for more information. For prints and cards go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
In 1869, the McGulpin Point light and fog bell was activated on a bluff overlooking the Straits of Mackinac. The light was visible only to ships headed into the Straits from the west.
The “Cream City”, a light tan brick was used in the dwelling and tower. The 1st and 2nd floors of the tower are 10’ square with buttressed corners. The 3rd floor of the tower was a 10’ octagon capped with a diagonal cast iron black lantern room with a 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens.
The light was decommissioned in 1906 when Mackinaw Point light in Mackinaw City was constructed. The light stood abandoned until 1913 when it passed to private ownership. the lantern room and lens were removed.
In 2008, Emmet County purchased the light and replaced the lantern room and installed an optic light. In June 2009, the tower opened to the public from May-October, Saturday and Sundays. It is worth the short drive west from Mackinaw City to view the Straits from the tower.
For more information go to www.mcgulpinpoint.org. For a colored print and cards of this painting go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
This painting has been a mascot of Michigan Lighthouse Art Gallery and has appeared on my street sign since 2009.
The New Presque Isle Lighthouse is one of five TALL TOWER’s in Michigan waters commissioned to be built by Superintendent Poe. They are known as Poe Lights. Little Sable Light, South Manitou Island, Seoul Choix Pt. Lt, - Lake Michigan, AuSable Light -Lake Superior, and New Presque Isle Light - Lake Huron, MI.
.The amazing detail of the top of the gently tapered brick tower is 113’ tall and it boasted a 3rd Order Fresnel Lens with graceful embellishments in the form of masonry gallery support corbels and arched topped windows in an Italian style. To learn more about Orlando Metcalfe Poe amazing journey to the position of “The Great Engineer of the Western Great Lakes” go to www.Terry pepper.com/Poe. F or a print and cards, go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
This is a great light complex to visit, visiting two interesting unique lighthouses on one trip.
The “New “ Presque Isle Lighthouse was built with attached keepers quarters to replace the “Old” Presque Isle lighthouse which is a smaller light a mile away. The new brick tower at 113 feet tall is one of the tallest towers (a Poe Style tower) on the Great Lakes.The light had a Third Order Fresnel lens, which is now displayed in the museum.
The Coast Guard occupied the station from 1939 until the 1970’s when the light was automated. Both the Old Presque Light and the New Presque Light are part of a 100 acre public park north of Alpena off US 23. They are managed by the Presque Isle Township Museum Society. For more information go to : www.keepershouse.org
For gifts, prints and cards of this painting go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.