In 1869, the McGulpin Point light and fog bell was activated on a bluff overlooking the Straits of Mackinac. The light was visible only to ships headed into the Straits from the west.
The “Cream City”, a light tan brick was used in the dwelling and tower. The 1st and 2nd floors of the tower are 10’ square with buttressed corners. The 3rd floor of the tower was a 10’ octagon capped with a diagonal cast iron black lantern room with a 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens.
The light was decommissioned in 1906 when Mackinaw Point light in Mackinaw City was constructed. The light stood abandoned until 1913 when it passed to private ownership. the lantern room and lens were removed.
In 2008, Emmet County purchased the light and replaced the lantern room and installed an optic light. In June 2009, the tower opened to the public from May-October, Saturday and Sundays. It is worth the short drive west from Mackinaw City to view the Straits from the tower.
For more information go to www.mcgulpinpoint.org. For a colored print and cards of this painting go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.