Frankfort North Breakwater Light was established in Frankfort in 1873. It has been moved and upgraded several times in its history. The current lighthouse was built in 1932 in a pyramidal style that is square white painted steel clad tower which is 67’ tall and had a fifth order Fresnel Lens. The tower was never manned, but accessed from shore by the elevated catwalk to a second story doorway that ran the length of the breakwater to shore. The catwalk no longer exists.
This light extends far out into Lake Michigan and offers some great photographs of towering splashing wave action. The breakwater does not stand very high above water level and lives have been lost from visitors walking out and being swept off and carried out by the strong rip current. The light can be reached by car and seen from shore.
For more history go to www.lighthousefriends.com and for a print or cards go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.