In 1887 the plans for Seul Choix and Squaw Island Lighthouses were approved at the same time due to increased steam powered barge traffic from Chicago and Milwaukee. Squaw Island Is located last in the Beaver Island Archipelago in northern Lake Michigan.
October 1892, saw the completion of the red brick tower which is 11’ square base with three projecting buttresses. The tower is set in the northeast corner of the keeper’s quarters dwelling. The red pressed brick two story house is covered by a continuous red painted shingle roof. The sparkling white trim is limestone used for the base and window sills.Other buildings in the group was a fog signal building, out house, a barn, a boathouse, landing, tramway and a well.
The black cast iron lantern room housed a Forth Order Fresnel Lens. The lens rotated and the weight that made it revolve was 28’ long and had to be hand-wound every 3 hours and 40 minutes exactly.
The opening of the Lansing Shoal Lighthouse in 1928 just 5 miles away caused the light station to be discontinued. In 1936, the island and light title passed to private ownership. The light was upgraded and secured in 2016 and sold to new owners.
For more information go to www.lighthousefriends.com and for cards and prints go to: michiganlighthouseart.com/gallery
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.