South Manitou Island Lighthouse is a graceful beautiful tall light located 16 miles west of Leland, MI and in good weather accessible by ferry. This tower was built in 1872 replacing the first light built in 1 832. The conical brick tower is 91” above it’s foundation with a 3rd Order Fresnel lens that shone 17.5 miles out and is one of five “Poe” tall towers in Michigan waters. It is painted white with black trim and Italianate bracketed. It overlooks the Manitou Passage that stretches 300 miles from Chicago to the Straits. 1000 ships passed each day, but it was still dangerous. South Manitou Island was the only safe harbor for large ships in 300 miles.
The light was decommissioned in 1958 and is now protected by the National Park Service and the South Manitou Island Lighthouse Society. The lantern room was restored and a replica 3rd order Fresnel lens was installed in 2008. The light was reactivated in May 2009 and it is lit from May to Nov.
For more information go to www.lighthousefriends.com and for prints and cards go to www.michiganlighthouseart.com/gallery
Leave a Reply.
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.