This painting was done on a golden October afternoon about 4:00pm. We managed to get to it before it closed. They did not have a guest keeper that week so we didn't get inside. It is just north of Traverse City, MI.
The Grand Traverse Lighthouse stands on the northern tip of the Leelanau Peninsula as a guide into the entrance of the Grand Traverse Bay from Lake Michigan. This painting depicts the second light on this site when finished in 1885. It was a single family two story white brick dwelling with a short square wooden tower sitting squarely on the top of the west end of the house. The light boosted a 4th order Fresnel lens.
In 1899, the fog signal building was added housing a steam powered fog whistle. The whistle required an assistant with family. 1901 saw the house divided long-ways with porches and kitchens added over the years. One of the keeper’s enhanced the grounds by crafting a stone bird house and a stone crown planter.
An automated light tower replaced the station in 1972, so the station was closed. The Grand Traverse Lighthouse Foundations restored the building and added a museum in the fog signal building, opening it to the public in 1982. The light is accessible by car and is part of the Leelanau State Park. For more information go to www.grandtraveselighthouse.com For prints and cards available.
Leave a Reply.
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.