The Manistee River has a long history of light signals. As the port became busier it went from 1870 land based wood keeper’s quarters with a light tower at one end with smaller pier lights and later a fog signal to an extended piers with a three light system. The 1870 light burnt the same year and was rebuilt in 1871. As the piers went further into Lake Michigan, in 1875, the south pier light was built. In 1894 , the lighthouse was reestablished and a 5th order Fresnel lens installed. The south pier light was moved to the north pier and a wooden catwalk was added. More changes occurred as the trade of wood products increased. In 1927, the current steel clad conical black and white tower which stands 39’ and fitted with a 10 sided lantern room and optic light was built. A catwalk was built of steel and wire to aid the keeper’s access to the second floor in bad weather. ( one of 5 catwalks still in existence on Lk. Mi.)
The Coast Guard deeded the light to the Manistee City Historical Society, in 2011, to restore and maintain the light.
The light is on the end of the north pier head on the shore in Manistee, Mi. and easily accessed. by car. The light can be viewed up close on calm days by walking out on the pier from a nearby public beach. Curious point: the windows on the door of the pier light are actually painted and not real windows.
For a more detailed and interesting history go to www.lighthousefriends.com/manisteelighthouse
Prints and cards available on the website or in the Gallery.
Leave a Reply.
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.