#1B, Detroit River Light, Detroit River, Mi. (Bar Point Shoal Light)Original pen & ink
From 1875 - 1885, a Canadian Light ship warned vessels of Bar Shoal jutting out into Lake Erie. This is the point up-bound ships make a turn into Detroit River. In August, 1885, the light ship was replaced with the U.S. Detroit River Light. The 49’ tall black topped white tower is brick covered in cast iron plates and sits on a 45’ x 18’ wood/cement crib surrounded by a granite blocks. The fog signal and radio signal building is an integral part of the “fire plug” style tower.
The light was fitted with a 4th order Fresnel lens. In 1979, the light was automated and the lens went to the Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven, MI.
The light is now privately owned. It may be viewed by boat.
This original pen and ink available also colored print available in 3 sizes and large card.
For historical information go to: www.lighthousefriends.org/detroitriverlight
Leave a Reply.
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.