The Charlevoix South Pier Light was first placed on the north pier in 1885. In 1914, the original wooden light station was moved to the south pier with it's fog bell that had to be rung by hand during foggy days. The structure had a 750' catwalk then.
In 1948, the current tower was lit with a 5th order Fresnel Lens. The tower is square steel structure 41 feet tall and is an active navigational aide. The Fresnel lens has been replaced with a plastic 300mm lens. In 2008, the custody of the lighthouse was awarded to the City of Charlevoix. The light is easily accessible by car.
In 2008 the light was still white as show in the Christmas Card, but in 2009/10, the light was painted red.
For more history go to lighthousefriends.com/Charlevoix. To purchase a print or cards go to the website: www.michiganlighthouseart.com
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.