With increased shipping of lumber from the Black River in 1872, a 30’ open based wooden south pier light and a 75’ catwalk was constructed and a 2 1/2 story keepers quarters on shore. In 1902, the pier was extended to 249’ and the light moved to the end of the pier and a year later a cast iron lantern room was installed with a 5th order Fresnel lens. 1903 saw a gleaming white cast iron 30’ tower replace the wood one and 1913 the pier was extended again and the light moved 425’ to the end of the pier.
A 52’ skeletal steel rear range light appeared in 1915 as incoming shipping increased. The 5th order lens was replaced with a 6th order and the wood catwalk was replaced with the current cast iron one (which is only one of four that still exist.) The 1950’s when the USCG took over, the rear range light was torn down and the south pier tower was painted red and became one of Lake Michigan’s “all red” lighthouses.
The light is an active aid to navigation. It is accessible by car and you may walk out on the south pier weather permitting.
Available in 3 sizes and large card.
For more historical information go to: www.lighthousefriends.org/southaven
Michigan Artist, Anita Saviko, Her goal is to research the histories and paint all Michigan lighthouses/range lights past and present, a total of spprox. 150 lights.